Monday, March 11, 2013

Update: The Newport Hallway

Wow!  It has been a while since I last posted anything regarding the Newport!  I don't have nearly enough time to work on it as I would like.  There is always just so much going on around here.  I am posting some photos today of my progress on the second floor hallway.  I am not completely finished, I still have trim and other little things to do.
 
 
 
I decided to add a landing to the stairs, but since they have to face the opposite direction it is hard to see from the back opening.  There was a lot of measuring and a little bit of cursing involved, but I am very happy with the way it turned out.  Right now they are still removable, as is everything else.  I won't glue anything down until I am ready to attach the third floor.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
I'm not sure if I want to keep the railing as is or if I want to add something less bulky.  It seems too big since I added the table on the right.  I have some other posts that I want to try and I will update you when I decide. :o) 

 
I loved the mirror that Brae originally made when she started the Newport and luckily I just happened to have this kit.  I did my best to re-create what she had done, although my paint colors were just slightly different.  (It is hard to tell in the photo.)
 
 
 
 
 
I made the hall table by adding a bottom shelf to a house of miniatures kit.  I painted it black and stained the top.  (I see that the books fell over in the second photo...oops)
 
I still need to add some trim there behind the stairs.


I am totally in love with this light!  It was a special treat that I bought for myself.  ;o)  It is beautifully made by Ray Storey.  I am hoping to see him at the upcoming Chicago International show.  I would love to get a couple more lights from him to use in other rooms.

 
Here is a view from the back.  You can see the guest room on the left and the bathroom to the right.  I took the stair railing out for this shot.


 


 
This view is looking down the stairs from the third floor.  That window looks to the front of the house.  I am thinking of adding a very small plant stand to the corner of the landing.  I have another House of Miniatures kit that I think will fit perfectly.
 
 
 
I am starting on the bathroom now.  I will try not to take so long before I post the next update! 
 
Have a great day!
*Jeannette


8 comments:

  1. Everything looks wonderful! I see you had no problem recreating the stair trim, wall details and mirror! I would definitely replace the railing. Now that I've used other thinner materials, I see just how bulky those pieces are. I love the landing idea and your artwork choices! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brae! I'm glad you like it! I've been working on adding the little shutters into the bathroom as well. I printed your tutorial and it has been very helpful.:o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is amazing. To get every thing in balance when it is tiny must be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really looks nice! Love all the little accessories you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jeanette,
    Incredible work. the level of realism you acheive is most impressive. The room has such a wonderful, calm, welcoming feeling. Very well done.
    Hugs,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great work. I like the staircase.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures look like they are a real house -- great work!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love it when you comment!